PPD second look

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Wed Feb 20 08:48:03 PST 2008

Hello all.

Does the upgrade(RPM package) from 1.2 to 1.3 normally handles the ppd
directory?

The cupsd.conf, printcap, and printers.conf files were upgraded
correctly to 1.3 BUT the ppd directory and its contents were not. In fact, the printer's ppd files don't even exist in the 1.3 ppd
directory.

I thought of copying the old 1.2 ppd files into 1.3 but looking at ppd
file size between 1.2 and 1.3, there's a significant difference. One
way I was able to regenerate the ppd file for a printer queue in 1.3
was to actually modify the printer queue from the web interface,
actualy don't make any changes but to save it, then CUPS would create
a new ppd file for it. Is there a simple way to do this from the cli?

Without the printer's ppd file, printjobs are truncated or printed in
stair-step effect.

I'm currently testing 1.3 and documenting the things I need to do or
be aware of when upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3.

Any comments or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Angel