[cups.general] Alternative pdftops filter does not work any more

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 05:26:24 PST 2008

I have done some further investigations on this issue:

I have looked into the source code of Poppler and pdftops and there are
no traces for functionality to choose an alternative configuration file.
Even the ChangeLog has no traces of an upload with which such
functionality got removed. Only the man page suggests to use the "-cfg"
option. This is an upstream bug in Poppler. The investigated version is
0.6.4 as it comes with Ubuntu Hardy. There are also no Ubuntu-specific
patches removing the "-cfg" functionality,

According to the man page there are command ine options which are
eqivalent to the settings in the config file. So I suggest to fold the
/etc/cups/pdftops.conf into the /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops CUPS
wrapper script for pdftops in the form of command line options for
pdftops. Can you do this to make your alternative pdftops filter working
again? Tank you very much in advance.

    Till