[cups.general] CUPS/Samba/Kerb to AD - Console OK, Printer Fails

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 09:23:13 PST 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Michael R Sweet wrote:

> You'll need the current CUPS 1.3.6 to handle the large Kerberos
> credentials provided by the Windows KDC, and you might need a newer
> version of Samba (I don't remember which release actually includes
> the Kerberos changes to smbspool...)
>
> Finally, after setting up the queue, run:
>
>     lpadmin -p printer -o auth-info-required=negotiate
>
> to tell CUPS that the queue requires Kerberos authentication.

I was using samba 3.0.26a, but I made changes to smbspool (Let me know if I
was wrong to do this).  smbspool seems to hunt for the ticket in /tmp rather
than use the KRB5CCNAME environment variable as passed from CUPS.  This works
great if your CUPS server is local to the client, but not if it isn't.

jh

--
"Une belle fille et un demi de Kronenbourg est la cle de tous les secrets de
  l'univers, la solution a toutes nos souffrances, le remede a la condition