[cups.general] Alternative pdftops filter does not work any more

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Feb 22 09:56:04 PST 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> I have done some further investigations on this issue:
>
> I have looked into the source code of Poppler and pdftops and there are
> no traces for functionality to choose an alternative configuration file.
> Even the ChangeLog has no traces of an upload with which such
> functionality got removed. Only the man page suggests to use the "-cfg"
> option. This is an upstream bug in Poppler. The investigated version is
> 0.6.4 as it comes with Ubuntu Hardy. There are also no Ubuntu-specific
> patches removing the "-cfg" functionality,
>
> According to the man page there are command ine options which are
> eqivalent to the settings in the config file. So I suggest to fold the
> /etc/cups/pdftops.conf into the /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops CUPS
> wrapper script for pdftops in the form of command line options for
> pdftops. Can you do this to make your alternative pdftops filter working
> again? Tank you very much in advance.
>
>    Till
>

> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>
>> The problem still persists.
>>
>> I breaks on the "--cfg" option, seems that it got taken out recently.
>>
>> See
>>
>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/182379
>>
>> I do not know how to destinguish the pdftops filters of XPDF and of
>> Poppler.
>>
>> On Ubuntu Hardy I get
>>
>> till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/brother-lpr-drivers-laser/packages/upload/tmp$
>> pdftops -v
>> pdftops version 3.00
>> Copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC
>> till at till-laptop:~/ubuntu/brother-lpr-drivers-laser/packages/upload/tmp$
>>
>>    Till
>>

>> Helge Blischke wrote:

>>> Till,
>>>
>>> just for curiosity: is that issue solved in the meantime?
>>> If there is some property of the poppler based pdftops
>>> utility to distinguish ir from the xpdf based one, I could
>>> modify my wrapper script accordingly.
>>>
>>> Helge

Till, I just looked into the xpdf 3.02 sources (that is the version
currently in use at oursite) and found

static ArgDesc argDesc[] = {
   {"-cfg",        argString,      cfgFileName,    sizeof(cfgFileName),
    "configuration file to use in place of .xpdfrc"},
};

in all of the utilities' main modules, e.g. in
pdftops.cxx

The config gile seems to be digested in a module GlobalParams.cc

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung