CUPS 1.3 performance observation

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Feb 28 13:38:34 PST 2008

Hello all.

Here's a high-level performance observation on two AIX and two Solaris
clients running CUPS 1.3 as clients polling a CUPS 1.3 server. Each
pair systems hardware and OS levels are identical.

>From my observation, after starting the client for the first time and
it has finished polling the server for the printers list, response
time for the lpstat or lpr command is very slow.

However, when the cupsd daemon has been refreshed, where it creates the
remote.cache file, response time from the lpstat or lpr improves
dramatically. I'm not certain if there is a direct relation but that
appears to be the case.

Another observation, on AIX clients, when loglevel is set to debug2,
running lpstat kills the cupsd daemon leaving no error message or
clues. When I tail -f error_log, all it logs is cupsdDoSelect over and
over and when it finally finishes, cupsd dies. Setting loglevel to
debug doesn't hurt it.

On the Solaris clients, if loglevel is set to debug2, it just takes 15-
20minutes for lpstat to finish..good news is it doesn't kill cupsd.
Possibly because the Solaris systems have much more CPU and memory
power than the AIX systems does.

AIX 5.2 systems:

        AIXCLIENT1:
                ROOT @ AIXCLIENT1 # timex lpr -Pricohc ti01-2.txt
                real 3.21
                user 2.34
                sys  0.03

                ROOT @ AIXCLIENT1 # timex lpstat -p|wc
                real 5.08
                user 3.75
                sys  0.07
                  2707   29777  167898

        AIXCLIENT2:
                ROOT @ AIXCLIENT2 # timex lpstat -p|wc
                real 4.97
                user 3.72
                sys  0.07
                  2707   32484  178726

                ROOT @ AIXCLIENT2 # timex lpr -Pricohc ti01-1.txt
                real 3.12
                user 2.32
                sys  0.08

SOLARIS 10 systems:

        SOLARISCLIENT1: (fresh install, no remote.cache yet)
                solarisclient1# timex lpstat -p|wc
                real       23.10
                user        3.02
                sys         0.10
                  2707   29777  192261

                solarisclient1# timex lpr -Pricohc f1
                real     2:11.27
                user     1:26.28
                sys         9.65

                refreshed cupsd:(created remote.cache)
                solarisclient1# timex lpstat -p|wc
                real        3.68
                user        2.94
                sys         0.09
                  2707   29777  167898

                solarisclient1# timex lpr -Pricohc f1
                real        2.23
                user        1.73
                sys         0.07

        SOLARISCLIENT2: (created remote.cache)
                solarisclient2# timex lpstat -p|wc
                real        3.67
                user        2.96
                sys         0.10
                  2707   29777  167898

                solarisclient2# timex lpr -Pricohc f1
                real        2.22
                user        1.75
                sys         0.08

As much as I would like to upgrade to 1.3, with what I've seen so far,
makes me a bit nervous... :(

Thanks,
Angel