[cups.general] CUPS 1.3 performance observation

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 28 14:28:50 PST 2008

angelb wrote:
> However, when the cupsd daemon has been refreshed, where it creates the
> remote.cache file, response time from the lpstat or lpr improves
> dramatically. I'm not certain if there is a direct relation but that
> appears to be the case.

Hmm, that shouldn't make a difference...

> Another observation, on AIX clients, when loglevel is set to debug2,
> running lpstat kills the cupsd daemon leaving no error message or
> clues. When I tail -f error_log, all it logs is cupsdDoSelect over and
> over and when it finally finishes, cupsd dies. Setting loglevel to
> debug doesn't hurt it.

There is probably a debug2 log message that is causing the problem.
A debug backtrace would be immensely useful.

> As much as I would like to upgrade to 1.3, with what I've seen so far,
> makes me a bit nervous... :(

Sounds like the poll() performance on both AIX and Solaris is lacking,
leading to these issues.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to
reproduce what you are seeing on my Solaris 10 system (and my AIX
system is currently not setup...)