[cups.development] CUPS, raster, CRD/CSA, ...

Aurélien Croc aurelien at ap2c.com
Sun Feb 3 04:33:16 PST 2008

Le Sunday 03 February 2008 04:49:31 Michael Sweet, vous avez écrit :
> Aurélien Croc wrote:

> Hmm, CRDs and CSAs only represent a subset of ICC - you just need
> to generate the LUTs from the transfer functions in the colorspace
> definition, then use the matrix.  Doing this with any old file is
> a big deal, but shouldn't be too difficult for a handful of files.

I never worked with color profile so i don't really understand what you said.
I asked some help to the littlecms author and he answered:

« Unfortunately this cannot be done at all. CRD/CSA may actually contain
executable code, while ICC profiles are pure data. You may try to sample the
dictionaries at regular intervals and populate the profile with such data, but
this is a major color science project instead of a single utility. »

So i believe him :o) But if you have an idea i would be very interested by
converting these crd/csa into ICC profile. Moreover, if you have a such tool,
i would get it and use it..

> pstoraster is the Ghostscript script that uses the cups raster
> output driver.
>
> Mac OS X doesn't come with Ghostscript.  Instead, Apple uses Adobe's
> distiller technology via the pstopdf program, which then runs through
> cgpdftoraster.
Of course i understand. But for compatibility reasons, it would logical to
make a pseudo-filter with the same name. It seems that pstocupsraster does
the trick. Why did you added the word "cups" in its name? pstoraster would be
very good for the compatibility.

Regards,

--
Aurélien Croc