[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2708: Remote CUPS server accessed forlocal printer by web interface

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Feb 18 06:01:47 PST 2008

Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> This is a dupe of at least three other reports; in short, this is working
> entirely as designed and will not be changed.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2708
> Version: 1.3.5
> Fix Version: Will Not Fix

I still consider this as a bug. Consider the following example:
There are at least two CUPS servers, say cups_a and cups_b.

On cups_b, there is configured a printer, named bar, having the
device-URI, let's say, socket://bar_s_ip_address:9100 .

On cups_a, there is configured a printer, named foo, having the
device-URI, let's say, ipp://cups_b/printers/bar .

The web interface on cups_a correctly shows the printer
foo
---
	Device URI: ipp://cups_b/printers/bar

You can even select this printer, but if you try to start or stop
the printer or changing the accept status using this web
interface, it tries to access a printer with the device_uri
	ipp://cups_b_pritners/foo
which does not exist.

I think it is *really* a bug that xou cannot manage a locally
configured printer the device-URI of which happens to look like
the one of a printer "imported" from remote.

Helge
--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung