[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2714: Delayed printing

Dan rozelak at volny.cz
Thu Feb 21 09:23:28 PST 2008

[STR New]

Hallo.
First of all, thanks to all of you for your hard work on CUSP!

I just thought about the possibility of delayed printing - I often travel
with my laptop, and when I find anything interesting which I want to print
out, I must save it to file, and remember to print it back in an office,
hotel or my home.

So, there could be useful to have something like "delayed printer" class
which would have (possibly more) printers assigned, and all documents
printed into this class would pend until one of printers assigned are
connected. Therefore, documents can be "printed" even without printer
connected, and they will be printed as soon as a printer is connected or
new printer is added. Also, when a new printer is added, and there are
documents in "delayed printer" waiting, cups could ask if the new printer
should be assigned to the "delayed" class.

I know that it is not trivial - CUPS must know (e.g. through DBus + HAL?)
if local printer is connected, or if networking is active and check
associated network printers.

I also know that it would be useful for laptops only, but there are more
and more of them all around ;-) And it could be really cool (at least I
and my collegues, with who I discussed it, think)

Thank you very much,
Dan

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2714
Version:  -feature