[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2712: Wrong rights for /var/spool when created by make install

Axel Mittendorf axonice at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:24:18 PST 2008

Hello Mike,

2008/2/19, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com>:

> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> 644 is the wrong permissions for a directory, and the spool directory MUST

sorry, I meant 755

be 710, owned by root with group "lp".  Otherwise you risk exposing print
> jobs to all users. This is enforced when the scheduler starts, overriding

No, you mean [PREFIX]/var/spool/cups not [PREFIX]/var/spool. Your mail
server would
really love you if you set /var/spool to 710 and root/lp ;-)
I assumed 755 and root/root for PREFIX/var/spool because I thought
it was somewhat compareable to /var/spool, which is 755 and root/root
(on Debian Sarge, Debian testing and on OpenSuSE 10.2).

any installed permissions, so you probably have a problem with your
> cupsd.conf file...

what could be wrong with my cupsd.conf in my case?

Check the error_log file for messages about fixing permissions on the
> spool directory...

For /var/spool/cups right not /var/spool, I dont think cups has something to
do
with /var/spool cause its used by many programs.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2712
> Version: 1.3.5
> Fix Version: Will Not Fix

??, IMHO I dont think its fixed. If PREFIX/var/spool is create with 710 and
root/root (which is fact for me)
then the cups user (e.g. lp) cannot access it. We are not talking about
PREFIX/var/spool/cups.

regards
Axel