Odd multi page problem from iSeries

Simon Slaytor sslaytor at iom.com
Wed Jan 2 02:32:45 PST 2008

> More than likely you are running into a 1.2.x limitation in raw
> queue support - printing of multiple files to a raw queue or with the
> raw option will not work in 1.2.x.
>
> You either need to upgrade to 1.3.x or, if the queues are raw
> themselves just use a simple interface script that just does a
> "cat $6".

Thanks Michael,

Yes from what you say it seems like this is the problem. The reason we're using 1.2.7 over 1.3.5 is that the hosts run OpenBSD4.2 and 1.2.7 is the package version on offer.

I've tried building and installing 1.3.5 on an OpenBSD 4.2 box, it compiles up ok once gmake is installed and appears to run, I can access it via a web browser. However I am unable to add any printers. PS shows a seperate admin.cgi thread running thats consuming around 96% CPU time but a printer is never added. When building CUPS I've gone as far as specifying ROOT/WHEEL as the user/group to see if it's a permissions problem, still no luck.

I've also tried modifying the cups entry in the ports collection, not unsurprisingly the ports 'patches' do not apply to the 1.3.5 code. Removing the patches and build through ports results in a 'semi working' install as per a straight build.

Can anyone offer advice on building 1.3.5 on OpenBSD.

In the meantime I will try the replacement interface script you suggested to see if I can get that working.

Many thanks for the reply.

Simon