Policy - User not in group

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Wed Jan 2 14:08:21 PST 2008

Hello all.

I've created my first policy, mktgtest, with an appropriate account,
qadmin1, that has access to the policy but it's not working the way I
thought it should.

When trying to Disable or Enable a printer using the "qadmin1" account,
it complains the account does not belong to "lp" group. The "lp" group
happens to be in the default policy.

My policy:
<Policy mktgtest>
 # Requires authentication and group membership to qadmin
 <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
        Enable-Printer Disable-PrinterDefault
        ...>
           AuthType Basic
           Require group qadmin
           Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
</Policy>

Printer config:
<Printer 3668-0-p1>
OpPolicy mktgtest
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

User account: qadmin1
[qadmin1 at stlam507 ~]$ id
uid=1838(qadmin1) gid=1838(qadmin) groups=1838(qadmin)

The account "qadmin1" is a member of group "qadmin" which is a group
specified inside the Limits directive in the mktgtest policy. And, the
printer, 3668-0-p1, qadmin1 is trying to modify is correctly assigned
(using the lpadmin command) to the mktgtest policy. So, where have I
gone wrong that prevents the group "qadmin" from being used?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks!
Angel