CUPS and iso-8859-1

Thomas Küstermann t.kuestermann at tu-bs.de
Fri Jan 4 04:44:10 PST 2008

> Youz need to force every client to use utf-8 as the
> character set specified in the IPP request.

As I thought...
I want to add some information: The CUPS server is self compiled from source. The client I am using is the java client from the CUPS source package (under directory <cups>/scripting/java/). It uses 'iso-8859-1' in every request to the specified server. It is possible to change it to 'utf-8' to get it working but that what I want to prevent.
If I try this client in collaboration with a CUPS server from different binaries (earlier releases) from different distributions (e.g Ubuntu) it works fine.
There are a bunch of charset files (as you've already mentioned) under '/usr/share/cups/charset'. These files are missing in actual releases of CUPS (only 'utf-8' is provided). To copy the 'missing' charset files to the self compiled CUPS server does not solve the problem.

Is there a way to teach CUPS 'iso-8859-1' or should the java sources be patched?

Thanks for every solution,
Thomas