Export one printer to a range of computers

January Weiner january.weiner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 06:42:14 PST 2008

Hi,

I run a cups server with several printers attached. I would like to export one of them to a separate range of clients (as defined by their IPs).

I tried to create a custom Policy for this printer in the cupsd.conf file and denied the access for this particular range of clients in the Limits of the default policy. This does not work -- it looks as if the default Policy only matters, while the specific one (albeit defined by OpPolicy in printers.conf) does not.

The ideal setup would be if the given "special" clients could only see the one printer that they can use, while all the other printers are hidden (for these clients). I have no idea how to tackle this (a second cups server with another port and a different configuration? looks like an overkill...).

Cheers,
j.