CUPS and iso-8859-1

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jan 4 07:41:38 PST 2008

Thomas Küstermann wrote:
 > It is possible to change it to 'utf-8' to get it
> working but that what I want to prevent. If I try this client in
> collaboration with a CUPS server from different binaries (earlier
> releases) from different distributions (e.g Ubuntu) it works fine.

The CUPS scheduler (cupsd) only supports UTF-8.  Prior releases
allowed any character set, basically treating printer names and
other strings as arbitrary byte strings with no associated character
set, which caused lots of problems.

We have no plans of supporting other character sets in the scheduler,
instead relying on the client to do any conversion to/from UTF-8.

If the Java libraries are using ISO-8859-1, please file a bug:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

They should only be using UTF-8, much like Java itself only using
UTF-16...