[cups.general] Weird behaviour of some HP printers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Jan 5 05:13:45 PST 2008

Michael R Sweet wrote:
> Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>> When upgrading from CUPS 1.1.19 to CUPS 1.3.5, we encountered quite a
>> weird thing with some HP printers, especially the HP 4250 series:
>>
>> When configuring the printer to use the "Fit to Page" option
>> to "Nearest Size and Scale", it worked as expected in 1.1.19
>> but failed to scale down the pages in 1.3.5.
>>
>> A detailed analysis revealed that the only significant difference is the
>> order of the setpagedevice statements in the output of the
>> pstops filter (short of line endings and comment lines).
>>
>> Is there anybody out there who has a reasonable explanation?
>

> No, very weird.
>
> Can you provide diffs (diff -u) between the two versions?

See the attachment.

Just to forestall a question I suspect:
the CUPSsetpagedevice stuff in the 1.3.5 variant redefines
the setpagedevice operator to merely collect all the setpagedevice
settings into one single dictionary and execute the real
setpagedevice operator with this dictionary just at the
end of the setop section of the job.
But the result is the save weird output whether or not this
special feature is enabled or not.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke