Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"!

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Sun Jan 6 13:07:23 PST 2008

> John A. Murdie wrote:
> > When I try an (Linux server, experimental) installation of CUPS 1.3.5 with lpr from a Linux client which has 1.2.11 (setting the ServerName in its /etc/cups/client.conf), I see the message:
> >
> > ; lpr -Pcp04 sourcecode.pdf
> > lpr: Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"!
>
> See my post from 01/04/08 12:57.
> It might help for 1.2.x as well.
>
> Helge

Thank you - very odd; when I searched the CUPS forums for "iso-8859-1" before I posted my question (and again now, being very careful), the results didn't include messages of the thread from which comes the message you mention above. (Also, I see recent messages in this forum with just "Sun" .. "Sat" as the date - 01/04 (American style) is "Fri" as I write.) There isn't a message timed at 12:57 - I suppose you to mean your message of 03:57.

I've not seen this problem before, though I've been using CUPS 1.3.* on a print server for a while. I wonder why I've not seen it before? I'm too tired to think usefully about this matter now, but will continue tomorrow.

Many thanks,

John A. Murdie