[cups.general] CUPS appears to drop connection to LJ 3050

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jan 7 14:49:28 PST 2008

Ben wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have CUPS version 1.3.4 installed on Fedora Core 8 with a Hewlett-
> Packard LaserJet 3050 connected via USB cable to the box.  I have noticed
> two problems that I can't seem to figure out.
>
> The first problem is that when printing from Linux, you *must* press the
> "OK" button on the printer for every print job.  If you print from

More than likely the default input slot/media source is not set to
"auto", so the printer is unable to print from the tray you have
selected in the driver options and is holding the job for you to
resolve the problem.

On a printer with an LCD you'd see "load paper" or something similar.

Solution: just pick "auto" or the tray that normally has paper in it.

> The second and more annoying issue is that CUPS seems to "lose" the
> connection to the  printer from time to time. This always happens if you

Looking at the logs, you are using the HP-supplied backend, which
means you need to either ask the Fedora or HP LIP folks for help.