[cups.general] printing from OS X to a CUPs hosted printer question

Jeff Macdonald macfisherman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 07:51:20 PST 2008

Hi,

I have a printer, a Dell 720, which is actually a Lexmark Z600. This
printer is attached to a Netgear wireless printer server. From my
Linux systems, I can print to it (after installing the needed drivers
that can be retrieved from Lexmark) via CUPS and LPD. I am now trying
to print to it from my wife's MacBook (running OS X 10.5). The Mac
version of the Lexmark drivers simply don't work. Using the PPD files
from Linux on the Mac don't work due to there not  being a Mac version
for the filter and backend.

I have one of my Linux systems sharing the configured printers on it,
including the Lexmark Z600. These show up in CUPs web interface on my
Linux systems. And I can print to the printer indirectly  from these
Linux systesm. However, they are not showing up in OS X. The CUPs
version is 1.3.3. "Show printers shared by other systems" is checked
in the web interface. Basically is seems that browsing is broken with
OS X and CUPS 1.3.3.

I'm acutally running several different versions of CUPS:

server sharing printers: 1.1.22rc1
Linux client: 1.2.12
OS X. 1.3.3

Any ideas?