IBM 6400 Printer

Kyle Schmitt kschmitt at tootsie-roll.com
Mon Jan 14 08:05:59 PST 2008

I'm looking for a little advice attaching an IBM 6400 line printer to a cups print server.

Being a line printer, I'm fairly sure I could use LPD in linux, or just leave it on AIX how it is now, but I'd really rather not.

IBM's site is now happily devoid of any good information on the printer, and only has drivers for AIX, and windows Nt2 (yes 2), nt4, 98, 29 and XP.
I extracted these, hoping to find something useful, but I'm not so sure yet.

There are a few "colon files" provided, which seem to be some sort of IBM specific lpd driver.

Is there a driver known to work with this or similar printers?  I'd say we have a ton of these things, but since each 6400 probably weights half a ton, we have many tons of these things....and we use them all the time.

Thanks,
      Kyle