IBM 6400 Printer

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Jan 14 09:33:18 PST 2008

Kyle Schmitt wrote:
> I'm looking for a little advice attaching an IBM 6400 line printer to a cups print server.
>
> Being a line printer, I'm fairly sure I could use LPD in linux, or just leave it on AIX how it is now, but I'd really rather not.
>
> IBM's site is now happily devoid of any good information on the printer, and only has drivers for AIX, and windows Nt2 (yes 2), nt4, 98, 29 and XP.
> I extracted these, hoping to find something useful, but I'm not so sure yet.
>
> There are a few "colon files" provided, which seem to be some sort of IBM specific lpd driver.
>
> Is there a driver known to work with this or similar printers?  I'd say we have a ton of these things, but since each 6400 probably weights half a ton, we have many tons of these things....and we use them all the time.
>
> Thanks,
>       Kyle

A quick search revealed that these printers are equipped with
(among others) a "Proprinter III", and a "Epson FX 1050"
emulation. For both there is a foomatic-rip based driver
available on linuxprinting.org.

If you need to exploit all features these printers provide,
you probably need to use one of IPDS, Coce V, or IGP
languages. I do not know if there are drivers for these
availabel.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke