cups printing a job (19 pages, duplicates) endless of times

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jan 15 06:03:27 PST 2008

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> cups 1.1.21 (Suse 9.2) is printing jobs (single pages, 19 copies
> ordered) not only 19 times but endless of times. 100% reproduceable!
> Some workaround available?
>
> technical background:
> The office who claims that bug works this way: the client (diskless
> linux client DLC) prints the job to a ipp-queue. (BTW: Every DLC has the
> same printer queues). Then ipp-queue prints a raw-queue on the real
> device, the "parallelport"-raw-queue mapped to /dev/lp0 (on any DLC!):
>
> <Printer kyo1030_BilderDrucker>
> Info
> Location
> DeviceURI ipp://cleopc:631/printers/parallelport
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> </Printer>
>

> <Printer parallelport>
> Info RAW-Drucker auf Parallelport
> Location
> DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> </Printer>
>
> BTW: browsing cups-queues is turned off.
>
> thx
> ekkard

I suspect ths is due to a still unsettled issue:
the number of copies is
a) set up in the PostScript job via PostScript
    statements by the pstops filter,
b) specified in the IPP print request which is sent
    to the printer.

Obviously it is implementation dependent if, and when, which one
has precedence, and if not, it is highly probable that both
settings are evalueated independently, which means squaring the
effective number of copies.

I have implemented a sort of "private" weorkaround for out
Docutech printers, but this "solution" currently is
not in a shape to be made pupblicly available.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung