CUPS server maintenance

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Tue Jan 15 14:46:59 PST 2008

Hello all.

I have two servers setup in load balancing operation. The clients are
setup to poll both servers so that it sends the jobs in round-robbin.

If I set the printer queues to REJECT in one server, the ques will try
to finish printing the current print job and reject subsequent jobs.
If the client sees that printer is in REJECT, will it send that print
job to the other server where the printer is accepting jobs or is the
job discarded(requires reprint?)?

We have several thousand printer queues and jobs are always going
through the servers every second(no exaggeration). What is the best
way to bring down a server for maintenance without losing a job or
perhaps minimize the chance of losing any current or subsequent jobs?

There is the option of REJECT or STOP a printer queue and both have
side effects. Expert suggestion is needed here... :)

Thanks!
Angel