cups printing a job (19 pages, duplicates) endless of times

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jan 16 04:52:51 PST 2008

ekkard gerlach wrote:
> Helge Blischke schrieb:
>
>> If I'm right with my suspicion, the shreshold is 1.
>
> You're right! I asked the office how they printed 2, 3 or 4 copies. The
> answer was "by using the printer symbol in OpenOffice, klicking 2, 3 or
> 4 times" - that means the printed sequentially 1 job after the other so
> that no squaring effect occured.
>
> But the squaring effect occurs only if sending the jobs through 2 queues
>  or more, right? - Here in my office with only on CUPS-queue (same Suse
> 9.2, same CUPS) no squaring effect occurs.
>
> Ekkard

AFAIK, OpenOffice does multiple copies by multiply writing the same data
to the print job.

Besides that, it depends on the backend used for the printer. The IPP backend
is, I think, the only one that transferres job attributes to the printer.
The other backends seem to evaluate the copies attribute only for
raw queues (whenever they read from a real file, not from standard input).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung