[cups.general] Managing a SMB queue through CUPS

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 12:24:57 PST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Michael R Sweet wrote:

> John Hodrien wrote:
>> I've got a CUPS queue forwarding on to a windows print queue using smbspool.
>> Currently the behaviour is that a print job queues in the CUPS queue, then is
>> accepted by the SMB queue, and then disappears from view until it pops out of
>> the printer.
>
> Unfortunately, no.  Like LPD, Windows remote printing does not
> return a job ID to the client so there is no reliable way to know
> when a job is completed or what job to cancel.
>
> Maybe the Samba folks can come up with a creative solution for this
> problem - that's where I'd go next for assistance...

And smbclient //server/printer -c queue doesn't return anything useful either.
I assume that's simply known to be broken?

Thanks for the feedback.  The samba folk seem to be more into samba server
rather than samba clients on the whole.  But I'll raise it.

jh

--
"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He
  has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would