[cups.general] Managing a SMB queue through CUPS

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 01:06:29 PST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Michael R Sweet wrote:

> Right.  They might be willing to migrate away from the file-based
> share printing (Win9x+) to SPOOLSS RPC calls (WinNT+) in future
> Samba releases - just depends on how much they want to support Win9x
> printing at this point...

Hmm, that's food for thought.

The server at the moment appears to offer (there's a lot of 'appears' in all
this, as it's a separate administrative domain) an IPP interface to the
queues.  Navigating with a web browser can return me all the information that
I seem to need.

https://win2k3server.domain/printers/ipp_0004.asp?view=q&eprinter=CAR~2dLP4&page=7052

Is this more easily integrated with CUPS, or am I still onto a loser?

jh

--
"The average PhD thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from one
  graveyard to another."                              -- J Frank Dobie