CUPS 1.3.5: Best method to receive notifications...subscriptions, mailto ?

Evan Bradley ebradley at williams-int.com
Thu Jan 17 13:48:50 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm interested in receiving notifications via email or otherwise from CUPS when print queues go offline.  I see in the CUPS documentation that there are several ways to accomplish this, but I don't see any clear definition as to how to set this up.  There's the mailto.conf and subscription.conf files in /etc/cups/ but I don't really understand how CUPS uses these files to actually send the notifications.

Our printers are currently setup as App Socket/Jet Direct (socket://PRINTER:9100) devices, but that might be changeable if need be.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?  A weblink or an example or some other type of explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Evan