Policy and Printer Administration

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Fri Jan 18 15:48:55 PST 2008

Hello all.

Does anyone know for sure that any printer administration; ie, stop,
reject, modify, etc, from the web interface requires an absolute
membership to the SystemGroup?

I have a Class, testprint, and to it assigned a specific Policy also
called testprint. The policy contains the same function as the default
policy but the "Require group" is testprint. I've created accounts and
assigned to them membership to the testprint group.

The user is able to submit a "Print Test Page" from the web interface
but when it tried to "Stop Printer" a printer queue, it fails. Debug
says "User not in group(s)" and it's pointing to the SystemGroup which
in this case, lp. But I have explicitly entered the "Require group" to
be "tesprint" group.

This doesn't make sense to me at all. Users in the testprint group
should be allowed to do whatever option listed in the Policy, if that's
what I think the Policy is used for.

Any idea or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Angel