[cups.general] Print to PDF creates PS, not PDF

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 22 10:59:50 PST 2008

Ubuntu Gutsy x86_64

I installed the PDF_file_generator printer in CUPS. I can print to it
fine, but the resulting file has a .ps extension and when I try to open
it in something like Adobe Reader I get an error message that it is not
a PDF file. I can open it in KPDF,  but when I do KPDF flashes a note
saying "converting from PS to PDF."

I also have a number of other genuine Adobe PostScript laser printers
in my office, all installed and working fine in CUPS. If I check the
box "print to file" on the print dialog box I get the same results.
Now, that makes sense, because "print to file" ought to create a PS
file, not a PDF file. But why doesn't the PDF_file_generator create a
genuine PDF file?