[cups.general] [cups.development] [RFE] STR #2681: check of snmp status of printer before sending job

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jan 22 23:53:35 PST 2008

Hello,

On Jan 23 08:32 Johannes Feigl wrote (shortened):
> In my case I'm using a fax server solution. All incoming fax are
> getting received by a server and the server is printing these jobs.
> Somebody who is writing the orders into our ERM-system just
> take all of this printed pages. When after that the printer gets a
> problem, I even don't know which was the last page, that's my biggest
> problem, not the document itself, they are all saved on the server.

I.e. in case of a problem with the printer you like to know
up to which page it actually printed so that you could resume
from this page on.

This looks the same as the accounting problem.

When users are billed for their printed pages, it is crucial
that they are billed exactly for the actually printed pages.

The CUPS built-in software accounting doesn't support this
because it provides accounting info only based upon the job data
when it is processed by the CUPS filters (in particular pstops)
but it doesn't take into account what actually happens inside
the printer.

Therefore a real hardware accounting solution which uses SNMP
to do the accounting based upon what actually happens inside
the printer might solve your problem, see for example PyKota at
http://www.pykota.com/
http://www.pykota.com/software/pykota/features/

Please do further discussion on cups.general <cups at easysw.com>
because it is no longer a CUPS development issue.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex