Print-Job operation

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Jan 24 09:41:46 PST 2008

Hello all.

The Location directive can be used to control access/operation to a
group of printers in a class.  A user can be required to authenticate
when sending "Print Test Page" to a class but is not required to
authenticate when sending "Print Test Page" to any of the printers in
the class.

If the Print-Job is specified in the Limit directive, sending "Print
Test Page" to any of the printer in the class will then require
authentication. This is all good except that it affects lp and lpr to
fail with "Print-Job: Unauthorized".

Am I totaly confused how this work and unknowingly misconfigured CUPS
to act this way? Or is that how Print-Job is designed to work?

I'm still running 1.2.12.

I have 1.3.5 installed and working now but I've not got the chance to
test it in depth to see if Print-Job operation behaves this way.

It's faster to ask the experts... :)

Thanks,
Angel