MaxClients value Question

Wes wes.hardin at maxim-ic.com
Thu Jan 24 10:14:28 PST 2008

> If you bump the file descriptor limit up, then you'll be able to use
> larger MaxClients values, however be warned that recent versions of
> glibc apparently are enforcing an arbitrary limit of 1024 file
> descriptors with select(), even though the kernel has no such limit...

Do you have any more information on this limitation?  I have managed to set the per-process file descriptor limit to 8192 on a couple different systems but MaxClients is still being limited to 1/3rd of 1024.

The systems that don't work are:

Debian4, kernel 2.6.18-5-sparc64-smp, glibc 2.3.6, CUPS 1.2.7
CentOS5, kernel 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5, glibc 2.5, CUPS 1.2.4
Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic, glibc 2.6.1, CUPS 1.3.2

I did get it to work on a bleeding edge Gentoo workstation

Gentoo, kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r6, glibc 2.7, CUPS 1.3.5

Now obviously, there are a lot of variables here.  I don't think the kernel has much to do with this, because the oft pointed too offender in the Linux kernel, FD_SETSIZE, is 1024 even on the working Gentoo system.

Is there something in particular that happened with the most recent versions of CUPS or glibc that helped eliminate this issue?