[cups.general] detecting usb printers

rance at frontiernet.net rance at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 24 16:43:36 PST 2008

Im running cups 1.2.4 via centos 5.1 rpm

I'm noticing strange behavior when it comes to the usb backend and I'm
not sure what to do about it.

I have a belkin brand usb-parallel conversion cable connected to an
old panasonic KX-P1124 dot matrix printer.

I used this printer for banners, and carbonless impact form paper.

After upgrading the cups server to centos 5.1 (it was a 4.x series
box) this printer no longer works correctly and the cups web interface
doesnt even show usb printers as a connetion option.

The OS has seemingly detected the belkin cable and printer correctly,
there is a /dev/usb/lp0 device and it has the same perms as the
/dev/lp0 device that is connected to the parallel port.

Ive read that this version of cups must also recognize the printer or
it wont allow you to connect to it.

I'm at a loss to figure out whats going on.  Ive tried google, ive
tried documentation, and nothing seems to fit this issue.

any help/pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

Rance