[cups.general] Print-Job operation

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jan 24 17:24:27 PST 2008

angelb wrote:
>>> Am I totaly confused how this work and unknowingly misconfigured CUPS
>>> to act this way? Or is that how Print-Job is designed to work?
>> You can require a valid user without specifying the AuthType in
>> the Limit section; this will allow command-line users to supply
>> the requesting-user-name attribute with the current username, but
>> web users will need to authenticate to provide their username.
>>
>> So:
>>
>>      <Limit Print-Job Create-Job Send-Document>
>>      Require valid-user
>>      </Limit>
>>
>> --
>
> I would have preferred to leave the commad-line users alone. This way,
> there's no need to modify existing applications.

That's the way it works; "lp" and "lpr" pull the username from
the current UID and supply the requesting-user-name attribute in
the print requests, so no password will be required.

Since the web interface doesn't have a logged-in user, we look
for the authenticated username (REMOTE_USER env var in the CGI
environment) and only pass requesting-user-name when it is set.

So, "Require valid-user" will do what you want...