Print-Job operation

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Fri Jan 25 09:18:14 PST 2008

> >> You can require a valid user without specifying the AuthType in
> >> the Limit section; this will allow command-line users to supply
> >> the requesting-user-name attribute with the current username, but
> >> web users will need to authenticate to provide their username.
> >>
> >> So:
> >>
> >>      <Limit Print-Job Create-Job Send-Document>
> >>      Require valid-user
> >>      </Limit>
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > I would have preferred to leave the commad-line users alone. This way,
> > there's no need to modify existing applications.
>
> That's the way it works; "lp" and "lpr" pull the username from
> the current UID and supply the requesting-user-name attribute in
> the print requests, so no password will be required.
>
> Since the web interface doesn't have a logged-in user, we look
> for the authenticated username (REMOTE_USER env var in the CGI
> environment) and only pass requesting-user-name when it is set.
>
> So, "Require valid-user" will do what you want...

Not quite there yet. I've set the Limit per your suggestion above
and lpr was able to print without needing authentication.

>From the web interface, I was still able to Print Test Page to any
printer in the class without authentication. Username used to print
the test page is "guest" as seen listed from "Show All Jobs" for the
printer:

ID  Name  User  Size  Pages  State  Control
abnull1-178  Test Page  guest  19k  1  completed at
Fri 25 Jan 2008 11:06:38 AM CST

Thanks,
Angel