Command line Text printing looks different on every OS.

David Miller dmc at cox.net
Fri Jan 25 12:32:13 PST 2008

I originally had CUPS setup under RHEL4.x as my print server. I never got any complaints from users about printing plain text files. I recently upgraded my print server to RHEL5.x(CUPS 1.2.4) and now plain text prints come out different. It seems to be using the same font but making the text thicker. Lines are getting wrapped that don't under RHEL4.x. I have tried playing with the raw, cpi=, lpi=, scalling, margins, etc with the lp command and in an lpoptions file but they make no difference. I setup a couple of different CUPS print servers under other operating systems to see if they print differently also.

MacOS 10.5.1(CUPS1.3.3) uses the same font as RHEL5.x but it is not as thick and doesn't wrap lines that RHEL5.x does.

Ubuntu 7.10(CUPS 1.3.2)seems to be using a different font and the margins are smaller so I don't get any line wraps like I do in RHEL5.x.

Each OS is obviously customizing the print job but I don't know how to tweak it to my liking. Can someone tell me how?

Thanks.
David.