Printing accented characters not working

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jan 25 22:01:23 PST 2008

Kevin Pickell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the process of converting an C++ open source app from windows to linux. I am generating a postscript file and then printing it using cups. I have it working for images and lines and regular text just fine, except that accented characters are not printing correctly, instead of the accented characters I am getting a circle with a line through it. My code uses the Arial font and I am printing it to a HP Laserjet 3700. I would like to track down why and I thought that it would be quicker to ask here. :-)
>
> Could it be that the "true type" Arial font that I am using for the screen is different than the one in the printer? And if so is there a way that I can wrap the font up and include it directly into the postscript file? Or could it be some sort of text encoding issue?

Almost certainly, but you also need to define a character map for
the font (for basic 8-bit printing) or a CID map and use 16-bit
Unicode characters.

That said, if you don't know PostScript I would recommend using a
library to generate it for you - Cairo is a commonly-available low-
level graphics library, KDE and GNOME provide printing support, and
there are at least a dozen PDF generation libraries and utilities
you can use as well.