Problems with paused printers

Daniel Tinkov daniocean at mail.aiko-bg.com
Mon Jan 28 00:35:33 PST 2008

Hi to everybody!
I am a system administrator in a company where almost all PCs are with Linux and all of them (as you can guess) are using CUPS for printing. Recently I encountered  a serious problem with printers pausing all the time. The problem lay in that, for printing we are using our own program written in JAVA, and there is some problem in the program which occasionally generates an error and is causing CUPS to pause the printer currently executing the printing job. You must imagine how irritating is to unpause 10 or so printers everyday, few times a day. Not that I can't do it, but it takes some valuable time I can use for something else. At this moment repairs to the program we use for printing are unthinkable, so the only options I have is ether to find a way to tell CUPS to cancel the bad job, or to give users rights to unpause the printers.

My question is:
1. Is there any way to tell CUPS to cancel the bad job instead of pausing the printer?

2. If I give rights to the ordinary users to unpause the printers can this be done via gnome-control-center, and if can, are there going to be any problems with the SuSE Enterprise Linux 10 SP1's version of the control panel?

Thank you in advance.