texttops in CUPS 1.3

Opher Shachar ophers at ladpc.co.il
Tue Jan 29 11:53:19 PST 2008

> >>Helge Blischke wrote:
> >>
> >>But be aware that this might be changed in future releases.
> >
> > I hope it stayes on for all eternity :)

Look at job.c in the current trunk r7267 here:
     http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/trunk/scheduler/job.c
in the function start_job() you have:
<code>
  attr = ippFindAttribute(job->attrs, "document-format",
                          IPP_TAG_MIMETYPE);
  if (attr != NULL &&
      (optptr = strstr(attr->values[0].string.text, "charset=")) != NULL)
    snprintf(charset, sizeof(charset), "CHARSET=%s", optptr + 8);
  else
  {
    attr = ippFindAttribute(job->attrs, "attributes-charset",
	                    IPP_TAG_CHARSET);
    snprintf(charset, sizeof(charset), "CHARSET=%s",
             attr->values[0].string.text);
  }
</code>

So, this functionality is with us still in 1.4 (and forever?).

I whould suggest reenabling the feature out-of-the-box by re-including the charset files from the 1.2 branch AND documenting this.

> Like the author of Perl's Encode modules, I am not sufficiently aquainted to
> the ltor and rtol conversion stuff. There is a Text::Bidi module by Moshe
> Kamensky available on CPAN, but I've no experience with that.

See also this: http://search.cpan.org/~smalyshev/Lingua-IW-Logical-0.5/Logical.pod
I think the function is self-reverible, ie:
   log2vis_string( log2vis_string(l_str) ) == l_str
(I'm not sure though.)

> By the way, the texttops filter implements some right to left handling
> but AFAIR there is something more than just inverting the sequence
> of characters.

Absolutly! A simple reversal of (suppose lower case latin is hebrew):
   my phone number: +972 (3) 7323836
gives:
   6383237 )3( 279+ :rebmun enohp ym

> Perhaps we could join our knowledge and hack a "well formed" solution?

If there is any specific thing I can help with I'll be pleased.

Opher.