[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2668: Cups backend permissions (700 not 755) break diskless clients

Richard Neill rn214 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 09:34:14 PST 2008

[STR New]

In our setup, we have one server, running Ubuntu (Gutsy), and a large
number of diskless fat clients, which network boot, using etherboot/GPXE
and NFS. The root filesystem is mounted via NFS with all_squash, and has
the same access rights as the user nobody.

One consequence is that CUPS breaks on the clients, because
/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp
(and http, lpd) have permissions 700, therefore the clients can neither
read nor execute them.
Changing the permissions to 755 fixes this issue.

Please could you make the defaults 755.

I did originally file this as an Ubuntu issue, here
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/181918
but am now adding it here as requested.

Thank you for your help,

Richard