[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2681: check of snmp status of printer before sending job

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Jan 22 23:10:14 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 07:56:24AM +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> On the other hand if the backend would wait for each job
> until its last page was actually printed before a subsequent
> job is sent to the printer, the printer's throughput would
> decrease in particular under high load. In the end such a
> "wait-until-actually-printed" could reduce a high performance
> printer to something like a small-office/home-office device.

Your perfectly right on this.

Basically if you wait for each job before submitting another one,
the printer's internal hard disk is of no use, and shouldn't have
been bought in the first place.

But unfortunately this is to my knowledge the only way to do
reliable print accounting through SNMP : accept a performance
penalty under load.

bye

Jerome Alet