Native Windows CUPS client ?

Andreas Moroder andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it
Wed Jul 2 05:47:09 PDT 2008

> A native CUPS client who does not use printer manufacturers drivers, and
> which sends to the CUPS server PostScript or PDF files.
>

> Regards.

Hello,

most of the paser printer we own does not support postscript but PCL5 or
6. It would be interresting to know how many printers connected to CUPS
are PS printers.

Why this intro ?

If I did understand windows printing with cups to a PCL printer, this
steps are performed:

1. windows applications generate a EMF File ( vector format )
2. the windows cups drivers translates this to PS
3. cups converts the vector to the cups raster format
4. cups converts this raster format to a sequence of PCL commands

Right ?

Why not replace step 2 and 3 with this one:

2. the windows driver generates the cups raster format

One fewer translation,  less sources of translation errors.

Maybe a mix of the cups windows driver and
http://emfprinter.sourceforge.net/ could be the basis for this new driver

The cups windows driver for the settings ( PDL ) part, the emfprinter
part for the conversion.

What's your opinion ?

Thanks
Andreas