[cups.general] Unable to write print data: Broken pipe

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jul 2 09:32:43 PDT 2008

Verena Alishahi wrote:
> I've setup a cups-Server running version 1.3.7 (I've tested version 1.2.12-22, too). My operating system is openSUSE 10.3, with kernel 2.6.22.18-0.2-default.
>
> I have different HP printers, which are connected to the network with their HPJetDirect and I want to configure them with AppSocket, because it's the fastest way to print.
> With cups-1.1.23 this worked without any problem, but with the newer cups-versions, I neither can't print the testpage nor anything else.
>
> The main error message in error_log is:
> [Job 4] Unable to write print data: Broken pipe
> [Job 4] Backend returned status 1 (failed)
>
> What does it mean?

It usually means that the printer connection timed out - check the
idle timeout setting on the printer.

The log does show one 8k buffer getting written to the printer - it
is possible there is something in the first 8k that is causing the
printer to reset the connection as well - make sure the "print PS
errors" option is turned on in the printer's control panel menu in
case the printer doesn't like something we are sending it.