Can't find docs/examples for adding option

Karl Hakimian hakimian at aha.com
Wed Jul 2 10:09:58 PDT 2008

What I'm trying to do is add an option (something like PrintAsCard) to my printer. When this option is selected, I want to do the equivalent of running the psutils pstops command with the following options

-b "4:3U at .5(1w,1h)+0U at .5(.5w,1h)+1 at .5(0,0)+2 at .5(.5w,0)"

I'm pretty sure I can get a print queue to do this all the time using a *cupsFilter line in the ppd. Where I'm stuck is making this a selectable option. Unless I'm mistaken (and that is a very real possibility) the OpenUI sections in the PPD file only insert things into the output file that are acted on by later filters or by the printer. What I'm trying to do is filter the file based on this section.

If there is a way to control the pstops command from psutils (or the cups one) by adding appropriate commands/comments to do what I want, I'd be satisfied with that solution as well.