[cups.general] Accessing different tray for HP 2420dn

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Tue Jul 15 06:36:04 PDT 2008

I try to print on a HP Laserjet 2420dn using CentOS 5.2 (cups-1.2.4-11.18.el5_2.1,
hpijs-2.8.2-1). The printer has an additional large capacity tray installed and we
use three different types of paper.

Therefore I need to select the tray before printing anything. Unfortunately, this
does not work. In the standard installation I only had two trays using the
Postscript PPD. I got a PPD from openprinting.org
(http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_2420) for hpijs
which enables more trays in the gnome print dialog.

Unfortunately, most of additional menu items don't work as expected: I can print
from the middle tray (the built-in normal paper tray) by choosing 'Upper Tray' but
all other items (including 'Large Capacity Tray' and 'Lower Tray') will only use
the manual feeder.

So far my only test was to use gedit and select 'print'. I suspect/hope I should
use the command line to get more information about what goes on. Any hints what
I should try next? Although I'm really a newbie when it comes to PPD files I'm
not hesitant to modify them as needed.

Cups error log is empty.

All help is appreciated :-)
fs

PS: OpenPrinting.org says the printer works "Perfectly" so I guess it should be
possible to get the tray selection to work... Needless to say that the tray
selection works if I use Windows?