[cups.general] HP 5200 different media types in different trays?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jul 15 08:04:13 PDT 2008

Jason Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
>
>>The printer should have a web interface which permits all the necessary
>>configuration steps.
>>
>>Make sure to set up the media size / type for all the trays of your
>>printer and select the media by media size and/or type. That is much more
>>reliable than selecting the input trays by number, since most HP printers
>>by default are configured to automatically switch trays whenever the current
>>one gets empty.
>

> Well, I checked the web interface on the printer, and everything seems
> to check out.  It reports 11x17 size paper in tray 3, and regular
> paper in tray 2.  So I tried to print out my google calendar sideways
> on an 11x17 sheet.  Go to page setup, select 11x17 rotated.  Go to
> print.  Print.  First time it comes out of tray 2 on a regular sheet
> with only part of the image printed.  Second time I force tray 3, and
> get the "load regular paper into tray 3" message on the printer.  I
> tell the printer (driectly, though the front panel buttons) to ignore
> that, and I get the same thing that I got with try 1, part of an
> image, only this time there's a lot more blank paper.
>
> So it seems like the printer knows what's going on, but CUPS doesn't
> seem to have that information, or is passing improper requests to the
> printer.  What next?

You did not tell which CUPS version you are using. I remember that some of
the 1.2.x versions used to include the default settings from the PPD
*after* the individual settings provided by command line options
or KDE utilities etc. and thus forcing the defaults to supercede whatever
the user had selected. That has been fixed in one of the late 1.2.x
versions and is OK in 1.3.x.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke