Interpretation of the MaxCopies option by Windows

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jul 16 07:58:58 PDT 2008

adam wrote:
>>Hello, my first post on this list  :-)
>>
>>I am using Cups 1.1.23 with Samba 3.0.11. The Windows 98 clients use
>>Adobe PS Drivers and the XP clients use the Microsoft PS Drivers.
>>
>>I'd like to use the MaxCopies option to limit the number of copies the
>>users want to print.
>>
>>This option works fine for a print job launched on the Cups server (the
>>job is rejected) but it seems that the option is not interpreted for pa
>>job launched from the Windows drivers : the number of copies asked by
>>the user is really printed. The job file is only filtered by the
>>'pstops' filter on the server.
>>
>>Is there anyone that has already seen this on Windows ?
>>
>>Thank you
>>
>>Norbert
>>

> I am in the same boat. I installed cups and it prints fine and maxcopies works from the linux box but from windows clients the maxcopies doesnt work at all. There has to be a  work around...

The MaxCopies can only be honored if the number of copies requested is passed as
a job attribute to the cups scheduler. In case of printing from Windows,
the number of copies probably has been inserted into the PS stream and thus
is not subject to filter processing by CUPS. Moreover, when printing from
Windows via Samba, often the smb.conf has "cups options = raw" in the
printing section which disables CUPS filters generally.

The issue may be settled by a JobPatchFile inserted into the printer's PPD
which restricts the number of copies by PostScript means to a given
upper limit.

If you need such an approach, let me know by e-mail.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung