[cups.general] HP 5200 different media types in different trays?

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:56:25 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
> Jason Sullivan wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, then I'm out of ideas now. perhaps you could do a test performing the
>>>following steps:
>>>(1)     stop the queue in question and print a sample.
>>>(2)     save the spool file (the dxxxxx-yyy) as, say, test.ps
>>>(3)     run
>>>       cupsfilter -m application/vnd.cups-postscript -p /etc/cups/ppd/yourprinter.ppd test.ps >   out.ps
>>>(4)     post (an url to) both files.
>>>
>>>(yourprinter should be replaced by the real queue name).
>>

>> Done:
>> http://jason0x21.org/cups/test.ps
>> http://jason0x21.org/cups/out.ps
>> http://jason0x21.org/cups/cupsfilter.log
>>
>> Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
>>

> Oh, I forgot: insert "-o name=value" as often as neededto the cupsfilter command
> where name is the name of the option you use to specify the media, and value
> is the desired value, such as "-o mediatype=plain" etc.
>
>  From the current example, though the input is not DSC compliant, it should work
> correctly.
>
> Sorry for having not mentioned this earlier.

jasons at jasons-laptop:/tmp$ cupsfilter -m
application/vnd.cups-postscript -p /etc/cups/ppd/hp5200_NW.ppd -o
media=Tabloid test.ps  > out.ps

....gives...

http://jason0x21.org/cups/out-1.ps

....which does exactly the right thing when I print it out 'lpr
out.ps'.  So, how do I get my applications to do this thing?

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com