[cups.general] HP 5200 different media types in different trays?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jul 17 05:03:06 PDT 2008

Jason Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> wrote:
>
>>Jason Sullivan wrote:

>>>Done:
>>>http://jason0x21.org/cups/test.ps
>>>http://jason0x21.org/cups/out.ps
>>>http://jason0x21.org/cups/cupsfilter.log
>>>
>>>Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?
>>>

>>Oh, I forgot: insert "-o name=value" as often as neededto the cupsfilter command
>>where name is the name of the option you use to specify the media, and value
>>is the desired value, such as "-o mediatype=plain" etc.
>>
>> From the current example, though the input is not DSC compliant, it should work
>>correctly.
>>
>>Sorry for having not mentioned this earlier.
>

> jasons at jasons-laptop:/tmp$ cupsfilter -m
> application/vnd.cups-postscript -p /etc/cups/ppd/hp5200_NW.ppd -o
> media=Tabloid test.ps  > out.ps
>
> ...gives...
>
> http://jason0x21.org/cups/out-1.ps
>
> ...which does exactly the right thing when I print it out 'lpr
> out.ps'.  So, how do I get my applications to do this thing?

I tried to reproduce the issue and found it worked correctly.
But note, if you select media attributes that do not correspond
with the attributes specified by the printer's PPD, they are
silently ignored (at least by ma CUPS 1.3.5). Make sure the
Tabloid is propoerly defined in the PPD (as PageSize as well
as PageRegion and ImageableArea).
If in doubt, get the PPD from linuxprinting.org (Laserjet 5200).

As of CUPS 1.3.x, media attributes and some of the processing atrributes
(like duplex etc.) are checked against the PPD.

You may also check the possible PPD attributes by
lpoptions -l printername
It lists all possible options allowed by the PPD, the defaults
tagged with an asterisk.

Hope this helps

Helge

--