Cups/HP1320 questions and problems.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Jul 20 14:52:37 PDT 2008

I have a number of questions and problems and there's no great place to start so let's see how far I get.

Fedora Core 4/HP Laserjet 1320/CUPS-1.3.7

Before, I upgraded to 1.3.7, I was running 1.1.23-15.2 which is the version that came with Core 4. I upgraded to the newest 1.3.7.

* Now when I print a file, the red attention light comes on on the printer and the job only prints when I hit the Go button. (Yeah, I know it's vague, but I'm looking for how to get started.)

Please note that the light would not come on and require the go button to be hit prior to upgrading cups.

* If I print a text file, I can get 2sided printing by saying

lp -o Duplex fn

BUT! When I upgraded from 1.1.23 to 1.3.7, the text came out much smaller with 1" borders on all four sides. Please note that the one inch borders went away and stayed away if I previously printed using kprinter.

Also note that the Duplex option would not work unless the Duplex option was set to always be on by default.

* If I print a text file with

lp -o HPwmTextMessage=ForInternalUse fn

I get no watermark. If I print with kprinter then the watermark can be made to happen.

I know that there are ways to ask a question on the 'Net that will result in better responses, but I'm just not sure where to start. If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to run with it.